March 22, 2011

Week 5 Recap

Team 3 – 54
Team 1 - 42

Team 3 knew what was at stake Friday. Win or chances of making the playoffs would be gone. They used that as a motivation to get their first win of the season beating Team 1 54-42. Grant Gibson (20 points) and Kyle Krol (16 points) lead the way over a John Griffin-less Team 1. “I took a nap in the locker room and didn’t wake up till around 2pm. My bad”, said Griffin.

Team 1 had already locked up a playoff spot, so this game in all regards was a meaningless game. “Not to me damn it. I spent 3 seasons losing when I played with Elzy’s team. I’ve had my fill of losing. I never want to lose another game”, said Eric Flatt. Flatt did not hide his disgust as he stormed off the court with just over a minute left in the game. “People need to recognize who the best player on the floor is. I am the one that needs to get 27 shot attempts if we want to win”, said Flatt. He was referencing the 27 shot attempts that Jason Rost took in the loss.

Despite the win, Team 3 knew they did not control their fate. They needed Team 2 to lose to Team 4 in the 2nd game in order for to have a chance at post season play.


Team 2 – 49
Team 4 – 36

Team 2 has 7 active players on their roster yet amazingly they have used 16 different starting lineups. Dave Neff made a rare appearance for Team 2 on Tuesday, but still they were only able to field 5 players. Team 2 came out and looked very determined to secure a playoff spot. They knew that a win Tuesday would guarantee them a spot in the PFOL playoffs next week.

What was known to only a few players was that if Team 2 won by more than 6 points they would guarantee themselves no lower than a 2 seed due to tie breaker rules.

Team 2 came out firing behind the energy of Rob Laycock. "He has been the 150 pound lighter version Tyler Hansbrough of our team. He brings energy each an every play", said Sam Elmore.

Laycock continue to make a case for "Most Improved Player of the Year" award. He chipped in with 10 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists.

"I have to give him credit. When I drafted him I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into with that pick. It turned out to be a great pick" said Edmound Elzy.

"He said that? It's amazing that he offered him up in a trade earlier this week", said Alan Mowrey.

Team 2 lead the entire game and indeed ending up winning by 7 points which means they hold the tie breaker over Team 1 and Team 4 if they should end up in a tie for #1 seed or #3 seed.

"I don't care about seeding. I don't care who we play. I know we can beat any team in this league at any time. And you can call Montagano and tell him that I will print that quote out myself and hand deliver it to their lock room for them to post".

"One thing I do care about is that this is the second week in a row, that Team 2 has used Laycock's bloody knee as an extra time out. I'm not saying that the extra 4 minute break we took was the reason we lost, but it definitely played to their advantage. They only had 5 players and they were for sure getting tired and then all of sudden Laycock calls an injury timeout to tend to his knee. The timing was perfect."


Playoff Scenario

With a 3 way tie for first place here is how the seeding will play out after week 6.

- If Team 4 wins and Team 2 loses, Team 4 will be the #1 seed.

- If Team 4 wins and Team 2 wins, Team 2 will be the #1 seed based on the 2nd tie breaker

- If Team 1 Wins and Team 2 loses, Team 1 will be the #1 seed.

- If Team 1 wins and Team 2 wins, Team 2 will be the #1 seed based on the 2nd tie breaker

1 comment:

  1. Why is it I get made fun of for bleeding all over my WNBA socks while Curt Schilling's bloody sock was placed in the baseball HOF?

    ReplyDelete